Sunday, August 10, 2014

How to Plan a Classic Party


There is really so much involved in planning even the smallest get together. (If you are like me that is- perfectionist, party planner, Martha wanna be.) However some parties are easier to set up, plan, and do than others. First we have to discuss the levels of parties in the most classic sense.
My Wedding Reception

My son's 1st birthday party


BBQ/ Outdoor Parties
Tea Parties
Home Sales Parties
Small Cocktail Parties
Small Dinner Parties
Children's Parties
Milestone Parties
Anniversary Parties
Formal Parties
Wedding Receptions


I tried to list these from least to most formal. It can be a tricky line when considering many of these parties because today's culture has reduced the formality of some and increased the formality of others. This list is based on my personal opinions of formality.

When considering planning a party you have several questions you need to ask yourself first.
  1. Why am I planning this party?
  2. How many people do I wish to attend?
  3. What kind of food would I like to serve?
  4. What will serve as entertainment?
  5. How much time do I have to plan?
 These five simple questions can make a big difference and reduce alot of stress when planning a classic party. The next set of questions come after you answer the ones above.
  1. What is the budget for this party?
  2. Where do I plan on holding this party?
  3. Do I need help in planning, setting up, and running the party?
  4. Are there any special considerations (age of guests, allergies, etc)?
  5. How can I simplify my plans?
Party planning can be stressful and expensive so it is important to consider these things early on. Some people just do not like to be hosts and hostesses and smaller, simpler parties may be their easier options. Another option is to recruit help. Catering, bands, and other friends are all resources one might consider when planning a classic party.

I really think you need to write the answers to these questions down. I also think that every party requires at least two weeks for planning time. The more formal the party the longer it requires. Weddings can take anywhere from six months to two years to plan.

The next post will go into more detail on invites and thank yous and how to figure out who you should invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment