Friday, March 28, 2014

Shepherd's Pie Burgers

Shepherd's Pie Burgers, basically what is sounds like-it is. Shepherd's pie, made with a burger instead of ground beef. It was a popular dinner at my house so I figured I would share!

As many of you already know, I like to hide some extra veggies where I can with my cooking. My husband is not the biggest veggie eater, so its more for him than my children!

You will see how I used this technique in this meal especially!

Shepherd's Pie Burgers


Ingredients
  • 4 cooked burgers
  • 1 bag of mixed frozen veggies (or just peas would work)
  • boxed mashed potatoes
  • a handful of baby carrots (or one large carrot)
  • sour cream
  • milk and butter (for mashed potatoes)
  • bacon/bacon bits
As I mentioned in the ingredients list, you must start with cooked burgers. I cooked these specifically for dinner, but it would be a good use for leftovers. Place them on a baking sheet. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

First, shred carrots. Make 6 servings of mashed potatoes, replacing a 1/4 of the milk for sour cream. It gives it a creamy, delicious flavor. Stir in the shredded carrots. Not only does this give it some color, it adds to the veggie intake!
Next, put a large spoonful of potatoes on each burger and press down the middle with a spoon. This should leave a little "bowl" in the middle of the potatoes.
Add veggies to the "bowl" and cover with more mashed potatoes.



After your burgers are covered, sprinkle them with bacon and place into the oven. Bake for 10-20 minutes until golden.

This is bested served with all the left over veggies you have from filling them! *wink*
It ended up being a hit at my house, which is always a pleasant surprise!




No comments:

Post a Comment