Saturday, March 1, 2014

What's For Dinner?: Chicken & Cheese Burritos

I am so excited to start this month's theme, "What's for dinner?" My husband has been bugging me for sometime to do this theme. I am often very creative with my pantry. I love casseroles and one pot meals. I also enjoy playing with ideas inspired by recipes.

Today I will be sharing something that is completely my own creation.

Chicken, Bean, and Cheese Burritos with Homemade Mexi-corn

 Ingredients



  •  2 cups cut bell peppers
  • 1 can of white chicken breast
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can of chili hot beans
  • shredded cheese
  • tortillas
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 packet of burrito seasoning
  • 1 diced tomato
In a big skillet cook chicken and 1.5 cups of peppers until peppers are soft.
Add seasoning packet and mix. Add water as directed by packaging. Drain black beans, but leave the hot beans. In a separate bowl, slightly mash both cans of beans.
Add beans to the meat and pepper mixture and heat until warm. Stir often. Preheat oven to 350. When the mixture is hot, fill tortillas. I like to put the cheese first because it makes rolling the burritos easier.
Place rolled burritos on a baking sheet and bake until cheese melts. (About 5-8 minutes)
While the burritos are in the oven cook the corn, tomatoes, and left over bell peppers over medium heat. Add seasoning to taste. Stir frequently.
Remove food from the oven and serve immediately or cool to freeze and use later.
My children ended up liking this fine, but my hubby loved it. I served to with apple sauce and some left over cranberry sauce from another meal. It could also be served with rice, refried beans, or a salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment