Friday, April 18, 2014

Rachel Joy Scott

April is the month I choose to focus on ladies from both the past and present that have or currently inspire me in someway. I am purposefully choosing to only speak on those aspects of each woman.

Rachel Joy Scott
source


 I can still remember the days after this event. The first child to lose her life in the Columbine High School shootings in 1999, Rachel has been an inspiration to many since. Her moral character and refusal to turn on her beliefs were honorable and courageous.Her life is also the inspiration for Rachel's Challenge a " a nationwide school outreach program for the prevention of teen violence, based on her life and writings." [source] Her writings ranged from journals to prayers and everything in between. In fact, her writings have been compared to another amazing woman I noted, Anne Frank.  She was also "posthumously awarded the 2001 National Kindness Award for Student of the Year by the Acts of Kindness Association". [source]

I have always found martyrs to be inspiring, but her story is especially close to my heart. Being a young teen at the time with a similar story, it was like loosing a friend. Her precious life and its swift ending came as a reminder that there is no promise of tomorrow. We should live like today may be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment